According to Carl Paoli, emotional fitness is the ability to move into a state of being that translates into purposeful action. In other words, it’s about regulating your emotions and staying focused on your goals, even when faced with challenges or setbacks.
As the world continues to change and evolve rapidly, taking control of your development and growth is more important than ever. One way to do this is by investing in coaching, which can help you to achieve your goals and create a more fulfilling, purposeful, and exemplary existence in 2023.
Carl Paoli emphasizes the importance of organizing your mental space and setting habit-based goals that you can cultivate to help you stay focused and on track and progress toward the things that matter most to you.
In addition to setting goals, it’s essential to learn how to reframe your feelings, so your actions match your values to help you to stay motivated and aligned with your long-term vision and maintain a sense of emotional fitness.
But how do you leverage a new identity and successfully navigate change in 2023? According to Harvard Business Review‘s most-read article of 2022, there are a few key steps you can take:
- Mark a distinct break with the past, which means making a conscious decision to let go of any negative habits, thoughts, or behaviors holding you back.
- Craft a story to tie the past and present together to help you to make sense of your journey and understand how your experiences have shaped who you are today.
- Identify and leverage transferable skills. Look for opportunities to apply the skills and knowledge you have gained in the past to new situations or challenges.
- Seek social support and community. Surround yourself with people who can support and encourage you as you navigate this period of change.
- Reframe the change as an opportunity. Rather than viewing change as a threat, try to see it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
A coach can be a valuable partner in this process, helping you to learn how to meet your needs, identify your stage of development, and effectively communicate and collaborate to achieve your goals. They can create a sense of safety and help you to show your true self, so you can make the most of the opportunities that come your way in 2023.
Here are a few practical examples of how coaching can help you to achieve your goals and maintain emotional fitness in 2023:
- If you’re looking to make a career change, a coach can help you to identify your strengths and passions and develop a plan to move forward. They can also help you to navigate any challenges or obstacles that come your way and maintain a sense of purpose and motivation. Carl Paoli likes to use IKIGAI, The Japanese Art Of Purpose, to assist through this process.
- If you need help with time management or productivity, a coach can help you to develop strategies and habits to help you make the most of your time and stay focused on your goals. Meditation and Journaling are powerful tools to learn to notice where we are bleeding attention and time.
- Suppose you are looking to improve your personal or work relationships. In that case, a coach can help you to identify patterns of behavior that may be holding you back and provide tools and strategies to help you communicate more effectively and build stronger connections with others. Carl Paoli recommends Marshall Rosenberg’s Non-Violent Communication.
So, whether you want to make a career change, improve your productivity, or strengthen your relationships, investing in coaching for emotional fitness in 2023 will pay off. Coaching is a powerful way to help you achieve your goals and create a more fulfilling, purposeful, and exemplary existence.